Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Song About the Ocean

You are my forever boy
Sunken into ocean nights
Ten-thousand Iloveyou's under the sea
Where jellyfish are jealous of our sky-filled eyes.
Take me on an exodus:
Would-be, could-be
Should have been a gutterpunk:
I was born to roam with room to spare
I've become the lion, but I'm still afraid of bears
(Lions and tigers
And lions and bears.)
Humidity sticks your handprints
To the the backs of my eyes and my brain
I'm your Barefoot Contessa
Leaving no marks in the sand.
Footprints: lighter than wishes and snowflake kisses
Each grain crying out,
"I miss you, I miss you,"
Patiently waiting as I never could
"I miss you, I miss you,"
And someday you'll see it'll always be true.
Where has all the time gone?
Yesterday's lovers meet today's aquaintences
And no one ever likes what they're forced to see
They're safe and sound, underground
Blue submarine boys and yellow-shoed girls
All the same, all unique
All-knowing, snarky, teenaged-fashion
My soul is too old
And your heart is forever young
Meet in-in-in the middle
Because I'm terrible with beginnings
And you hate loose ends
(I hope I've made you smile)
Before casting off into the waves, forever
And it's true. Someday you'll see it'll always be true--
"I miss you, I miss you,"
And someday you'll see it'll always be true.


I wish I were actually good at writing.
I wish I could play guitar.
You have no idea how much time I'd devote to this sort of thing.

1 comment: