Monday, April 26, 2010

My Laptop background

Is extremely cute.
It's a picture I found while stumbling.
(stumbleupon.com, for the naive and confused.)
It's this old, Tibetan monk with tattoos running up and down his arms, neck, chest and belly. He has a dragon that can't really be seen because his belly roll distorts it a little. He's wearing this coppery-fabric toga and wire-rimmed glasses, and he holds a wooden staff close to his body with one hand.
With the other hand, he's hugging a tiger.

Let me reiterate that for you: A TIGER.
TIIIIIIIIIII-GER.

This beast of an animal has its head resting on the monk's knee, and the monk's arm is wrapped around its neck, pulling it closer. The tigers eyes are shut, and the monk's are closing.
It's like this man hugs tigers every day.
I want to describe it as "intimate," but I don't want to make it seem like some life-changing experience for the tiger or the monk.
They're not in love. They might not even love each other. But one of them needed a hug that the other was willing to provide.

I guess I just like hugs. I like hugging people, I like being hugged. Hugs are something everyone knows how to do, and they don't require a longstanding history or relationship. You can hug a stranger, you can hug your boyfriend, you can hug your parents and you can hug a tiger.
Maybe tiger like hugs too.
Maybe when I grow up, I'll be a tiger.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite author is john green. i feel like you should know you write like him. that makes you also my favorite writer--in blog form.

    ReplyDelete