Sunday, February 20, 2011

This Blog Is Brought To You By Nostalgia

I just finished reading
Will Grayson, Will Grayson and
The Perks of Being a Wallflower within T W E N T Y F O U R hours.
I devoured them.
They were both incredible.
You can't just sit there and put everybody's lives ahead of yours and think that counts as love. You just can't. You have to do things.
That's beautiful.
That's honest.
That's what the world is really like.

The whole time I was reading Will Grayson, I was thinking about the world and how I am so small in it. It's a book that really puts things in perspective. I am Jordan Scaife, and there are a million-billion other Jordan Scaifes in the world, but none of them are me.
Isn't that wild?
You share a name-- the most intimate, vital part of your existence, the thing that other people identify you by, that you identify yourself by-- with other people, and that means N O T H I N G to the universe.
You are yourself.

So, last night, I learned a life lesson about being an individual. Coolbeans.

Perks of Being a Wallflower taught me how lonely it is to be an individual. No one is exactly like me. Therefore, no one quite understands me. No one will ever completely know me, my brain, or my heart.
And that's sad. It really, really is.
Because I have so many unique things to bring to the table, and you will only ever experience a handful of them. So much of me will always be a mystery to you.
You will never know me as well as you think you do.
And I will never know you.
It makes me sad. Sad sad sad.
But, I also think that trying to know people is important. Even if we are predetermined to fail, it is so important to try.
True failure is in the giving up of hope.
Success is in the chasing of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment